Trying to remodel...

Topics relating to D-Day modeling/coding/skinning etc.

Moderator: Rab,d

Daniel

Re: Trying to remodel...

Post by Daniel »

Yea i think ill need it to figure out the stuff.
Ok well I scraped the P-90 and im just working on a tank because i can only realy make like the basic stuff.
thats how much i suck check it out:

I know its crappy but thats the first thing i made and thats the best thing i can make at the time being.
Last edited by Daniel on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

im going to work on doing the bone joint thing see what all i can make.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

a little work i've done this weekend.
Got this early alpha version of infy's m1919 bhmg. I worked out a shader for the barrel's alpha channel :)
I still have to add the bullets, tripod, finish the animation sequences tweak out the hands, and the true sight objects like the rear sites need alot of tweaking. But a little closer to another .md3 weapon we are. :)

mofo

Post by mofo »

lookin pretty good rab! but isnt that an italian map? anyway.....my only critique would be the skin is a little light in colour. guns of that era in high light still have a pretty dark finish. unless its been raining like it was on me today during the crow hunt. also....crow hunting is fuckin nuts! completely different from anything else.
"Babies are little maracas sent from above."

-CDL-hAnS!!

Post by -CDL-hAnS!! »

its not necesary see the arms of player with the heavy machine... in the new heavy the arm looks so long.

look the original

its a constructive opinion not destructive

if you put the new heavy like the original, looks so nice, because the skin and model are really good
^NTK^hAnS!!

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Fuck, I like that model Rab,d, where'd you get that from? :mrgreen:

Daniel: Look in this thread, I explained a method to make the edges round.
Or you could start to make that tank with a cylinder instead and make it less round if you know what I mean :)

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

I have been messing around with positions. :) On my m1 i basically copies the originals position nd animations. But, i want to get custom with this one and eventually i'll redo the m1's animations too. Here's the concept i am going for. Instead of have the gun set at your side when idle...like every soldier ran around like Rambo or something....i am having the gun be carried like you would when you ran with it irl. This way you will see both hands and gun. It's more of a wide angle perspective if you will. Let me know what you think.
r_bloom looks much better on a q3 .bsp map, btw.

I need some real photos or vid of this gun being carried and fired to do this right. Maybe from those wacky re-inactors. :)

Make me a tripod, infy.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Very cool Rab'd!
IMO while moving you should move model a bit to down becouse now you cant see a thing!
And btw. where is the ammo box :D
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

So you finialy Reply to my message lol and where in the topic?

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

can someone please teach me how to make models? All of you come by it so naturally and i need some experience if I become a game modeler in the future.
All i can make is a lot of really square stuff and that's all, my tank looks stupid and i just deleted it regardless of how long it took (a few hours).

mofo

Post by mofo »

lookin good rab......seems like its coming along fine.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

Daniel wrote:can someone please teach me how to make models? All of you come by it so naturally and i need some experience if I become a game modeler in the future.
All i can make is a lot of really square stuff and that's all, my tank looks stupid and i just deleted it regardless of how long it took (a few hours).
Don't get discouraged. :) That hmg there is an effort of 2 of us. These things take alot of time, thought and energy. It's not simple and there is no easy way to "teach" you how to model.
Just keep trying is all i can suggest.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Well is the anything square that needs to be made? I can make like a box or a book case..... but someone else will have to skin i do not know how to... i still don't know where in the topic it says on how to make curved corners lol

And i have been trying, around a hour a night...

Also if i made models in google sketchup wouldsomeone else be able to make it usable in D-Day Normandy?

Blade

Post by Blade »

Modelling is like painting.. but in 3D lol.
Check out this site http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/page.php?3
it have some nice tutorials for making low-poly models and how to uvmap :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Rab,d that idea is amazing. Considering the HMG can't be fire while running makes this 'idea' plausible but I have 1 remark: you can shoot standing up when you let it rest on something. Your idea would make that look 'weird' at the least, because you can walk around and fire as long as it leans on something :)

1 tripod coming up!

for modelling tips and other ramblings: irc://irc.quakenet.org/excardio or connect to irc.quakenet.org and /join #excardio

round edges are found here:
http://ddc.planetquake.gamespy.com/phpB ... &start=175

Daniel I started out 'basic' too.
Mhm, I wonder if I still have my first model :)

Some beginner's practice.
Try to model this:
http://ddaynormandy.com/inferno/pallet.jpg

It consists only of BOXes!! Perfect for you? :p

A Euro pallet has fixed lengths, heights etc so just use this image (and cut it up) and put it on your Viewport as a background image
Then start drawing boxes and manipulate them with "scale" and "move" (move Vertex)

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/ ... europe.gif

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

InFerNo wrote:Rab,d that idea is amazing. Considering the HMG can't be fire while running makes this 'idea' plausible but I have 1 remark: you can shoot standing up when you let it rest on something. Your idea would make that look 'weird' at the least, because you can walk around and fire as long as it leans on something :)
There is an animation sequence for firing both idle and aimed. So i can have it swing into position when fired, either way. ;)

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Rab,d wrote:
InFerNo wrote:Rab,d that idea is amazing. Considering the HMG can't be fire while running makes this 'idea' plausible but I have 1 remark: you can shoot standing up when you let it rest on something. Your idea would make that look 'weird' at the least, because you can walk around and fire as long as it leans on something :)
There is an animation sequence for firing both idle and aimed. So i can have it swing into position when fired, either way. ;)
Isn't that pretty instant?
How many frames can you use in a split second? :p

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

1 tripod coming up!

for modelling tips and other ramblings: irc://irc.quakenet.org/excardio or connect to irc.quakenet.org and /join #excardio

round edges are found here:
http://ddc.planetquake.gamespy.com/phpB ... &start=175

Daniel I started out 'basic' too.
Mhm, I wonder if I still have my first model :)

Some beginner's practice.
Try to model this:
http://ddaynormandy.com/inferno/pallet.jpg

It consists only of BOXes!! Perfect for you? :p

A Euro pallet has fixed lengths, heights etc so just use this image (and cut it up) and put it on your Viewport as a background image
Then start drawing boxes and manipulate them with "scale" and "move" (move Vertex)

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/ ... europe.gif
lol thants really nice.
I will give it a try, as long as i don't have to skin it and stuff...
Modelling is like painting.. but in 3D lol.
Check out this site http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/page.php?3
it have some nice tutorials for making low-poly models and how to uvmap
Thats for a different program and i already tryed going through a tutorial on how to make a knife with little sucsess and it was using that milkskape thing so i don't think that will help alot, but thanks anyway.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

1 tripod coming up!
Make it as low poly as possible. I am running into max vertices problems at this point trying to add those polygonal bullets. I have already poly reduced the main body, barrel and handle of the hmg from 2600 to 1700(worked great..looks the same), but after adding my hands...there isn't much room left. Wiki says md3 can hanle up to 4096 vertices and double that in faces...but, misfit model 3d has smaller limits it seems. I am working on making the bullet belt as a low poly object with an alpha channel to produce some kind of detail for the bullets. Should work out fine. I think that may only leave you with about 150 vertices or less for your tripod.

I almost done with the animations. :) Just some tweaking to do, now. And i am pretty happy with the overall color, hue and brightness of the skin. What say you, mofo!?

mofo

Post by mofo »

the gun looks way moreamazing there rab. reckon that ammo belt is going to get cleaned up?

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

1. DDay needs anti-aliasing.
2. I think he's going to burn his hand terribly! Shouldn't he be holding the gun before the tripod connector?
I don't think the barrel is so heavy that it would tip forward (IRL that is :p ) when you hold it there instead of at the barrel.
Those holes aren't there to make it look 'waw'. Just trying to give you constructive critisism towards making DDay more realistic :p

I bet you removed some detail on the front-end sights of the weapon. Those were pretty detailed, along with the back-end sights (which were even more detailed)

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

You just wanna see another pic of your baby, don't you Dennis?
Well...i love to post screenies!!
EGL supports antialiasing if your vid card does. It must be set in your vid card config utility.
Here's you gun with 8x antialiasing and 16x aniostropic filtering.
I have my vid card settings set at performance, normally, so i can play Fallout3 smoothly.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Looking nice guys, I will post my progress with the Pallet...

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

I wuv my purrdy baby :D

Daniel, keep up the work!!

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Rab,d
I was browsing through my models just now and noticed I made you an ammo box once...
You said the inscription on the box wasn't correct so I photoshopped it :p remember?

How about that box? It's weighing 2358 tris :D :p

This combined is 4181 :)

Tripod:

402 tris

The limit you gave me = :compress: :sign5:

It's 4583 with Ammobox AND tripod included. Your hands are about 2000 as well? stupid MD3 limit :( :p

The 3 'feet' are pretty ok-ish, but they are connected by a box :\
You didn't give me quite the space to work something out here :(

Last edited by InFerNo on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.