Developers' Start Kit for DDay2(dday+) v1.0

Topics relating to D-Day modeling/coding/skinning etc.

Moderator: Rab,d

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Re: Developers' Start Kit for DDay2(dday+) v1.0

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 pm

The folder extracted to a folder called d-day normandy2 and then had all the sub folders. Which doesn't work.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:43 pm

Ok, in Quark I click on the water texture, and there is a texture and three shaders. In the folder looking with explorer, there is only the water texture, and not the three shaders. So now I have no idea what is happening anymore.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 am

its because your setup for quark is likely correct and where you think your files are is not? Would explain why we cant get those models to appear for you.. wherever you have quark pointing to is where you need to have the player models :/.

Night Rider

Post by Night Rider » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Well that does sound like that can be the fix for the problem here. Boons do you have a download site for your version of EGL that you give MYNF because I like to compare it too the version I have here.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid"
John Wayne

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:59 pm

I just posted a PNG of my file structure and of my Quark configuration on the dday fb page. Suggestions are welcome.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:14 pm

This is weird, I posted the photos on the FB site, but now they aren't there. Is there a Gremlin following me?

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:31 pm

Why don't you guys just start over with Unity?

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:48 pm

ok I will bite, what is unity, and can we use it as public use?

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Unity is a game dev application. 2d or 3d...practically limitless. You can download it for free but you only get the "pro" stuff for 30 days, then it's basic only, but there are some amazing things been done with just the basic version.
I think you are limited to what platforms you can compile to with basic, but if it were down to me, I would run a naughty version of pro, and if all was going well, get someone on board who has a legitimate pro version and have them compile it. Then it can be sold for any platform...PS, Xbox, Android, Iphone, Windows, Browser....whatever else there is. Or, dev it with said naughty versions, then download the 30 day pro version just to compile a final version. If it sells, we buy a legit copy :)

Needs looking into a bit more, but I would be up for some devving again if there was interest.

DDay with proper landscapes, buildings, animations, lighting, particles, physics, vehicles, hitler....

Only an idea anyway, I just think as far as engines go, Unity has to be up there with the best these days

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 pm

I just looked on the Unity site and there is a licence comparison. I'm sure the things you only get with pro won't be missed and you will end up with a good looking, good playing version of dday.

The only bit missing that might've been handy is the C++ coding plugin, as that would mean easily porting ddays source code. Unity is .NET C#, Java or Boo .... whatever they are :S

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:00 pm

From a FAQ...

Q. Can I sell games made with free version of Unity?

A. Yes you can use Unity free if you/your company had a turnover under one hundred thousand U.S. dollars in the last fiscal year. Which means that, if you earn $100k by the end of the year. you will need to buy a Unity pro license the next year. As long as you earn less than $100k per year, you can use Unity free.

So, if you dish it out as a free online game, you are never going to make $100,000 and therefore never need to buy a pro license

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:34 pm

unity would have the same issue as we have now.. we have no coder for the game.. just mappers :/

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 pm

There are plenty of free script examples and tutorials for most things you'll need it to do, and if there isn't, plenty of people to ask for help. I made a car that you could drive around a landscape in no time at all using somebodys free scripts.

Bear in mind I did this about 8 years ago, and I can't remember why it was such a small window....

http://www.majorparts.webspace.virginme ... Catsim.rar

I also remember getting a dday player model walking around too, but I never did compile that...wasn't as much useless fun as the car :D

Six-Shoota

Post by Six-Shoota » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:38 pm

Why dday in other engine? I like the old look and feel. May be a multy hitbox models could be coded in r1q2. If you want some nice mapping features http://www.markshan.com/knightmare/ But rewriting the entire g.logic dll is stupid. It will not be dday any more.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:44 am

Hum, well back to my immediate issue (because I only care about myself) I don't understand why, if I downloaded rabids file and installed it the way he said I should, and I can load maps in Quark with all the entities and textures and such, why I can't see the models that are with it, or the players. Apparently all the other people that have downloaded it don't have this issue. So, wall of confusion.

But the beach map is looking fairly good, the one I made, though rather big, definitely a struggle across the beach and up the hill to blow a few defenses. But that is what Omaha was like. Figure a Juno beach also, and then towns and country.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:46 am

[quote="Six-Shoota"]Why dday in other engine? I like the old look and feel. May be a multy hitbox models could be coded in r1q2. If you want some nice mapping features http://www.markshan.com/knightmare/ But rewriting the entire g.logic dll is stupid. It will not be dday any more.[/quote]

So six shoota, what does the link you provided give us? It seems beyond Q2, or is a hyped up version of Q2 with better graphics?

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:34 am

Six-Shoota wrote:Why dday in other engine? I like the old look and feel. May be a multy hitbox models could be coded in r1q2. If you want some nice mapping features http://www.markshan.com/knightmare/ But rewriting the entire g.logic dll is stupid. It will not be dday any more.
You like the old look and feel but want all these modern features...that's the stupid thing! Leave it alone and play it how it is if that's the case.
Back in 2000 there were loads of servers and loads of players...sometimes it it was hard to get a game because the servers were full. It ran on low spec equipment and that made it popular. You're not going to get many new players staying with something so ancient.
I feel that if you continue to spend hours, days, weeks and months creating for this, it's only ever going to be for your own amusement. How many maps are available now compared to how many get played...there is practically 1 server that now and again gets half a dozen players on it.
I enjoy playing the odd game here and there when I see those half a dozen players on, but it's for nostalgic reasons.
I would rather dev for something that is current and has a future, rather than be stuck in the past that is gradually being more and more forgotten.
There is nothing stupid about creating something, wether a rewrite or different, in a modern 3d engine.
Mind those dinosaurs don't eat you on your way out six!

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:05 am

Well with Fafner retired, is there a need for a coder as Rider says? How would we set up the engine, or do you know how to do that Parts? And can we use Quark to map for Unity, or do I need to learn mapping in Unity?

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:08 pm

I haven't looked into it deep enough, but i doubt you could map in quark and import to Unity. Unity has a terrain generator, then for all the assets, like buildings, trees and whatever, you would use a 3d modelling package...Blender is free I believe. There are also many royalty free resources for pre-made assets.

This is only an idea anyway, and seeing as how you're prepared to put time into creating things, I would have thought that time could be better spent.

Have a google for Unity tutorials, or look on youtube to see how people create stuff.

I will gladly delve into scripting and modelling if there was interest. You will probably find that nobody wants to code for this on such an old engine, but might easily find people willing to help with code for something modern.

I know someone who created a top down racing game which is practically a rewrite of the old atari arcade machine, but has real physics and very nice 3d graphics...he had no previous knowledge of game creation and did it with just a few free scripts.

You can all carry on doing what you're doing and I wish you all luck and good fortune, but if anyone wants to get involved in something new, let's talk!

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Well my concern is mapping that won't get played, though I suppose that is what happened in the past. But if my skills can be used in Unity I find I can knock out a basic map in a week or so, maybe can do it. I find that despite the desire to be intricate and detailed as an expression of my image, the best maps are straight forward and simple and get people back in the game quick. A lot of maps that I added bots to are simply the old map with poly's removed so the bots see each other easier and start fighting.

Keep is simple but fun.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Parts. I would be interested in such a project.

I would want to try and keep the "feel" of dday.. but if it had a modern engine that would be well worth it!

Is it possible to do a small map team based fps?

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:06 pm

Anything is possible. Things would have to be done one step at a time though, like an empty room big enough for a character to run around in to start...then see about giving him a gun...then getting a 2nd online player in as well. I don't know exactly until something is started, but it has to start somewhere.
I don't want to hijack this thread about it anymore. Me and mynf are hooked up on Facebook, which can be good for group discussion, and always possible to have a dedicated page there. Or I will start a new topic here...whatever is easiest. Maybe Fafner can set people up with access to the backstage section here and I take it there.
In the meantime, mynf and I will make a start getting to know the editors better.

Six-Shoota

Post by Six-Shoota » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Parts, of course the future is in the new tech. engines but there are so much WW2 games these days. I think the game should be old school for the old school players :)

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:25 pm

Watching vids about this.. Doesnt seem like it would be that bad to do! There must be some fps start resources already made for this? like a place to start from.. that we can just mod.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:25 am

Well what the heck. The dday maps are already here six shoota for those who like them, this is just trying to make it more today for "the kids".