A way to make D-Day very popular

Topics relating to D-Day modeling/coding/skinning etc.

Moderator: Rab,d

the violator
Developer
Developer

A way to make D-Day very popular

Post by the violator » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Okay so I have a crazy idea that would probably be a lot of work but I think it would be really great in jump-starting the D-Day community and bringing in lots of new players.

I think the main thing holding back D-Day is it's a pain in the ass to install. There are too many separate downloads and add-ons which makes it very un-noobfriendly.

I'm sure some of you are familiar with www.quakelive.com, a browser-based version of Quake 3 that Id Software recently came out with. I'm a big fan of this, because it is a snap to set up. All you need to do is download the plug-in and you have everything you need. The game also automatically updates so there's no need to worry about different versions.

I recently came across this thread about a similar concept but for Quake 2:
http://www.quakeservers.net/forum/viewt ... ?p=644#644

Now here's my idea, an in-browser version of D-Day, which only requires the user to download one plug-in and they'll be able to jump onto a server. We can use existing servers, but use the browser-based client as an easy way to keep the client up-to-date with the latest DLL's, teams, maps, etc. This would bypass the installation issues with having to indtall so many different things before you can jump onto a server. With this environment, all we would have to do is advertise the game and people would be able to play easily.

I know this would be a big undertaking but I was curious as to what everyone thinks and if it would be feasible if we got enough people to work on it.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Re: A way to make D-Day very popular

Post by Fafner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:12 pm

I read about that before and it seemed kinda shaky, like they didn't really know what they were doing and I got the impression it wouldn't ever be finished. And I see now the links on that site are all dead because their hosting was suspended. Loading the game in the browser would be neat, but I don't see anyone who's going to code it.

I've been working on a full install for a while. Just haven't gotten around to finishing it and uploading it. That should help a lot with the noob friendliness factor.

MetalGod

Post by MetalGod » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Here's the thing the game that dday is a mod of Quake II, was released on December 9, 1997. That means it's roughly 13 years old. I've been playing it since early 1998. At this point I don't think there's much chance of it becoming "Very" popular. Even the some of the really great mods that were made for it are gone now, due to apathy or planetquake getting hacked at one point. The Chaos mod comes to mind in particular A few of the DDay players came here from that mod. The website is gone and they only have sites for the UT versions of the game now. Quake 2 is old. That doesn't mean the gameplay is bad, but it does mean there are newer games out there with more eyecandy, tighter coding, better usage of resources, a larger development team, resources to advertise more. For example all the quake 3 source code for the engine and game side has been released now. Urban terror, and Warsow come to mind as some good examples ofFREE games built off them with entirely new game media. And even with newer free games around you'll have a hard time convincing a lot of people that the newest thing isn't what they actually need/want. New games you pay for have so much more exposure than we could ever hope for. When we do get new players in it's a mixed blessing as they seem to get the mod without ever actually looking at the website and reading about the basic rules. Quakelive is great for what it is, but personally I prefer having the game right on my computer, and I don't think any of us are up to the task of porting dday to java. The code we have right now is tricky at best, you change one thing and a seemingly unrelated bug occurs. At some point down the road I can see converting to a modified quake 3 engine perhaps, but anyone working on the mod does so in their spare time. I could go on, and I've missed some points here and there. I don't have a problem with anyone wanting Dday to be popular, but I don't think it's a very realistic expectation. If you want to do your part think outside the box. Post links to the DDAY website with a brief explanation of what the game is at the push pin boards in your area, schools , stores, churches, businesses, your work place, as a signature in your email etc.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Yes. Very unlikely to become "very" popular.
Personally i think the gameplay or really just the fast action of it could atleast "appealing" to many.
But, i seriously doubt it is with 8 bit textures. That is sooo old most newbies do not even understand why it looks bad to them.
So, really..i don't think there is any hope for this game as it sits as far as growth goes...
We certainly can and have made it better for us that still play and that's nice. :)
But, If we want it to grow in popularity..it needs a facelift, first.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:24 am

It's always possible to get new players if you advertise enough.

I honestly never thought the game was worth advertising in the past. There were too many flaws with gameplay, unbalanced maps and not enough servers. But with the game as it is on Drik's server and with the bots and everything, I think it's a good game that I think people could enjoy if they try it. There are elements to the game that can be attractive, there's a ton of maps, 8 different teams, ~60 different weapons. And my installer is shaping up to be less than 200 megabytes so it will be pretty easy to try out.

And instead of thinking "low quality" think "stylized" art ;) Darwin said he was going for a cartoon look more than for total realism with the skins anyway. And you can always do a bit of bait and switch, just show screenshots of the good maps/skins and sucker them into downloading.

the violator
Developer
Developer

Post by the violator » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:19 am

Maybe "very popular" was a poor choice of words, but I do believe D-Day has a lot of great things going for it that other games just don't have, and that it could be much more popular if it were advertised well and the installation process were painless. I think there are a lot of people out there who don't care that much about graphics and if they found this game and tried it out, the gameplay would get them hooked.

the violator
Developer
Developer

Post by the violator » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:22 am

Fafner wrote:And instead of thinking "low quality" think "stylized" art ;) Darwin said he was going for a cartoon look more than for total realism with the skins anyway.
That gave me a random idea: D-Day with cell-shaded graphics :) a cell-shaded WW2 shooter.. now THAT would be a unique game :D

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Play on the chilean servers, they use that noise I think. However I think the intention there is to make the skins easier to see.

I swore to myself I'd never play dday again the last time I gave it up (maybe 6-8 monthes ago). But it drew me back in; between posting on the forums, seeing the release of 2 wicked map campaigns (that I coincidentally played a part in producing), and dday's game play it was hard to resist. I count myself lucky that I'm aware of how fun the game can be despite it's numerous flaws.

A new installer would be great. The bots and the recent dll updates are awesome. All we need are a few more active server owners who can take the 5 minutes or less to update that it'll require.

Dirk
Developer
Developer

Post by Dirk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:54 am

Do I need to run another server?

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 pm

Well no not necessarily but there's optinet and coolnet sitting there as the best choices for european players and they run dday1-5 continously with the occasional 12h hour doomtown break. Either because they can't run other dlls or they haven't updated with new maps.

Dirk
Developer
Developer

Post by Dirk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:08 pm

If someone from Europe has Linux and a good solid connection, I'm offering to help administer it.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:51 am

Fafner wrote:And instead of thinking "low quality" think "stylized" art ;) Darwin said he was going for a cartoon look more than for total realism with the skins anyway.

I don't see anything cartoonish about dday's player models. Considering they are md2 and 8bit skins...they look very realistic. Darwin's art is excellent. But that doesn't mean it is not dated.
Even at that...the player models and even the wep models would be tolerated if the maps were atleast 24bit and more detailed. Most new players will be turned off by the poor graphics before they realize the good gameplay.

the violator
Developer
Developer

Post by the violator » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:33 pm

Looks like they have a working release of Quake2Live now:

http://www.quakeservers.net/forum/viewt ... ?p=646#646

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:08 am

We just need to advetise. Once Faf irons out the new installer we simply "Spam DDay"
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4974&hilit=spam+dday
This campaign is the reason we still have newbies. But, that went wrong when the servers all went down and the cfg in the installer only had one valid ip...coolnet. lol. So...what this demonstraes is the importance and power of a good installer.
Check this out. These guys customized EGL with auto updating, bloom lighting and a neat inventory system. We need the auto update feature. Would it be similar code for vanilla q2, also? Our standalone game needs a custom frontend.
http://www.parilsprojects.org/brazen/index.html

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:53 am

That site has been sitting dormant for years though.. even though it looked awesome. Wonder what happened there.

luosT .tcR

Post by luosT .tcR » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 pm

If you release a full installer, you must also include the exact same files in a .zip, reason:

1. There are alot of paranoid people out there that are using a computer that does not belong to them or sharing a computer, such as there wife's laptop or fathers work or office computer, and WILL not run a .exe because they know they would be killed if they jack up that computer.

2. There are paranoid people out there that own there computer and have some kind of Allienware bad ass system that cost them $3000, and feel as they are going to be spreading there ass cheaks to the person that made the .exe and only install store bought game.

3. There are people out there that dont give a crap and run anything, and would run the .exe installer without thinking twice.

Yes I know there is the Quake2.exe within the .zip that they will need to run, on the page for the .zip download you must direct them to the R1Q2 website to download the client and run that so they feel cozzy inside.

If you dont want to create a .zip you should include the option of renameing the file extention to .zip or .rar and allow us people to use our own unpacking program.
Last edited by luosT .tcR on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 pm

The only reason I'll probably include a non-exe is for non-Windows users.

Dirk
Developer
Developer

Post by Dirk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:11 am

for us *nix-ers?

Shrewd

Post by Shrewd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:06 pm

I've always liked this browsing type : http://www.greycube.com/
You can see it from the web, and its easy to use screenshots of maps, however it requires php sockets and other stuff.

Also with a program called Qtracker just clicking on the ip launches the game.
I think that's the closest we can be to Quake live... btw I also play in it ;)