Trying to remodel...

Topics relating to D-Day modeling/coding/skinning etc.

Moderator: Rab,d

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Re: Trying to remodel...

Post by InFerNo »

I was hoping to animate it soon, but...

in this stage, it's 6329 tris :)

the box and ammo are overkill...
I'll make some lowpoly ammo later on, I like the box too much :p, but if it has to go.. then it'll have to go :(

what else is making the polycount rise up to the sky..
I think it's the overall detail, I'd shave some of the detail off, but someone else would be in a far better position, because i'd probably select what to leave out based on the ammount of time I worked on it :p
Gimper

Post by Gimper »

i say keep it the way it is just make the ammo a little less complex if possible to keep the polys down
Former Squads:
PFC - 505
CO - 35th
CO - 22nd
CO - sT
CO - MH
CO - AR
RogoS[Ums]

Post by RogoS[Ums] »

My GPU died, i was bored so i made some models. If you guys want it just write and i will upload .rar of them
Here are screenshots how they are presenting and how much triangles they have

IMO they can be better optimized.
I have problem with my knife, i animated it (with pretty cool activate animation ;)) i placed it in the position of old knife, packed it to .pkz
But the game doesnt showing this model.. can i send it to someone of you guys Rab'd or Inferno for revision?

BTW. Great B30 here :) keep it up
---------------
DDW
---------------
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

All good stuff. Rog0s you can send that knife to me. You prolly don't have it pointing to the skin properly.
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

awesome models, love the thompson and mg42!!

you can send it to me anytime

infy dot inferno at gmail.com :)
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Gimper wrote:i say keep it the way it is just make the ammo a little less complex if possible to keep the polys down
I was way ahead of you, model with new ammo 'type' is now +-3500 tris.

I'm thinking about shaving some polys of here and there, but it'd only be a few..

I think it'll mainly be trial and error, make the model, animate it roughly, see if from different angles and remove invisible tris :)
RogoS[Ums]

Post by RogoS[Ums] »

K !nfy, models sent ;)

EDIT:
YES! GOT IT WORKING! I know now whats going on with this skin path etc etc :D My First fully functional in game model is German "Potatomasher" Grenade! I will unwarp it from begining, animate and pack.
Last edited by RogoS[Ums] on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------
DDW
---------------
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

http://ddaynormandy.com/inferno/B30goodreload.ms3d

Rab,d, just add an extra bone to the "reload" group, to open and close the weapon on top :)

I looked to animate it, but in MS3D the weapon moved to a side all the time and I had to center it constantly, which made the overall look bad.
I completely don't understand the MM3D way of animating :/

So fix that sh*t and throw it in a pak :)

edit: if someone else takes it for a different purpose: please, credit where credit's due
RogoS[Ums]

Post by RogoS[Ums] »

K, i seen Inferno made russian PPSH41 model.. i was playing dday on doomtown and i noticed how much ugly the old is the russian Mosin rifle.. so ive made new one.
I wanted to show some pics for you guys but my gpu have completly died now so you wont see anything becouse of artifacts that my gpu drops.
I will buy new graphic card in 2-3 days and i will post some screenshots.
Im limited myself to making just models.. im not good at unwarping, but i can make animations cuz they pretty easy and i was studding Flash animating for long time so yeah..
My Mosin Nagan is 1764 triangles (without hands). Its also finished in 95%.. i cant make that 5% becouse i dont have picture showing ironsight.
When i finish this one will someone unwap and skin it?
I think we need bigger team, i mean.. dday+ need coders, skinners and sound collectors.
No one fights alone lol. In bigger group we can finish this faster.

And InFy, how about making a DDay+ progress tab in your DDay Normandy website? Always when i reffers someone to dday i giving to him this ddaynormandy d0t com link, it would be nice to make ppls know that the game is actually converting to Q3 engine, becouse when peoples hear's "Quake2" they thinks about shitty graphics etc.

BTW. i know my english is bad but i hope you guys understand me. I will try to help dday as much as i can.
---------------
DDW
---------------
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

I hope you can animate models, cause I sure hell can't.

If I find the time later this week, I'll give it another go..

I'll try to make that progress page today, but I need a fixed set of goals to base the progress on.
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

For me, making the meshes takes a considerable amount of time. But, i can unwrap and skin a model in a day or so. So, I'll take care of that for any of the models you make. I'll get on that bmg of yours, infy.
Animating is tedious. Even if you are good at it. It's the nature of the beast.
I animated the m1 of mine very similar to the original. I just opened 2 windows and frame for frame i positioned my model the same. Use grid. I improvised on a few sequences..but essentially it's nearly the same. I felt this was the easiest way to achieve a beta version. And would set me up for a better more custom animation set for the final release. I suggest that method to you guys.
I'll do all the w_ models for you guys...that's the one where you see other players holding a weapon. It's basically the weapon attached to the play model animations..minus the player model.
Some custom code work that involved expanding the way it handles skins would be great. ...if we could just solve the sleeve issue on the v_ model. ;/
Expanding the animation set would be great, too. Not too much...just a little here and there we add another 10 frames to certain sequences. Something like that. A total of 50 extra frames or more. Our player model and weapons would be much more dynamic and interesting. I know even with .md3 models we are still limited because of frame animation...but, i don't think it will become that big of a file...for today's computer.
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Link to hands please.
RogoS[Ums]

Post by RogoS[Ums] »

Rab,d wrote:
Some custom code work that involved expanding the way it handles skins would be great. ...if we could just solve the sleeve issue on the v_ model. ;/
Expanding the animation set would be great, too. Not too much...just a little here and there we add another 10 frames to certain sequences. Something like that. A total of 50 extra frames or more. Our player model and weapons would be much more dynamic and interesting. I know even with .md3 models we are still limited because of frame animation...but, i don't think it will become that big of a file...for today's computer.
Ture, and that would be nice if we can add few more new animations like Player_move_reload, and make player model looks up and down but again ..that needs code stuff.
---------------
DDW
---------------
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

InFerNo wrote:Link to hands please.
You're gonna have to wait. I am making them better...tweaking vertices, bone assignments and skin. :) They need to be good to hold a weapon like this:

Gotta do the barrel with an alpha channel..and then polish the skin out on the body...highlighting edges, etc.
Then you can have at it with you animating. :)
-CDL-hAnS!!

Post by -CDL-hAnS!! »

i do it a TNT like on this kit

and result this xd

^NTK^hAnS!!
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Rab,d wrote:Gotta do the barrel with an alpha channel..and then polish the skin out on the body...highlighting edges, etc.
Then you can have at it with you animating. :)
Looking awesome there and all, but I have 1 little thing to say.
I'm using a different ammobox :p

link to ammobox:

This one will make those 'edges' look more natural on the side of the box, if you're good with Photoshop you could try to make the box have the same color as the one you're using. Otherwise the whole gun including the ammo will have the same colour 'set'.

edit:

I also don't have that safety on the right side of the weapon in my reference pictures. If I had it, I would've modelled it. Do you think it looks ok like that? (meaning the 'flat' texture')

Hans, the TNT pack is looking sharp as well ;)
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

mmm...
You have a 50 cal. box. The 1919A4 was a 30 cal. machine gun.
How about making a 30 .cal box that matches my skin. :P
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Rab,d wrote:mmm...
You have a 50 cal. box. The 1919A4 was a 30 cal. machine gun.
How about making a 30 .cal box that matches my skin. :P
You'll have to unwrap again + polycount will rise as there are more edges on your box :)

Not a good Photoshop but I can't seem to get it any better :|
RogoS[Ums]

Post by RogoS[Ums] »

K, i got my new gpu ;)
Here are screens that i promised:

Mosin-Nagan is 2620 triangles
Mosin-Nagan Sniper is 2680 triangles
:)
---------------
DDW
---------------
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

so, rog0s....after the Aliens dropped you off...what other skills did you find you now had?
Nice work, dude!
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Weld and/or snap the 'thing' with the hole, on which the scope is attached.
It seems to be 2 seperate groups..
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

I'm going crazy here.
I start up Misfit model, try to animate my model.
It goes shit when I want to move to the next frame.
After 1 hour I give up and start Milkshape.
It doesn't playback the MD2 animations so I'm thinking 'hey, I'll try it myself from scratch' but I can't get the initial frame right because I can't base it off of something.

I'm trying to do the Tokarev. Milkshape only shows the first frame of the MD2 which doesn't quite help as it's not the weapon in idle position..

After another hour of searching how to place the weapon I finally get the weapon in sight but sideways in screen.
I rotate it and it's gone again.
It's driving me nuts.

If nobody is going to tell me how to do this I'll just throw everything away..
It's pissing me off beyond belief.
I've got a few models but I can't do anything with 'm, how long do I have these on my disk?

Modelling and skinning are "ok". I can work with it, not perfectly but I can see results. Animating on the other hand...

I've got time to waste this week, and I've tried animations almost everyday and each next day it's pissing me off faster and faster.

Guess this more of a rant than anything else.
Somebody tell me how..

I tried opening the original in 1 screen and my own model in another but that's just way too confusing..
If I can get the original frame right AND the model doesn't go back to each time I want to edit the next frame I can do this...

In Misfit, I loaded the MD2 and my own in the same window, I place my own over the old one and then deleted it so mine was placed correctly. I then used the method of using 2 screens and when I move the animation cursor to the next frame my model went back to the position where I modelled it. I almost threw my laptop out the window...

</rant>
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

Yeah it's tricky. And tedious.
It's easy to lose the weapon from the very limited view range of the dday player. The best way is to bring up 2 windows, splitting the screen.
On the left is the tokarev v_ model. On the right merge your new model into and scale it to the same size as the one on left. Make sure your grid is setup the same so every segment equals the same in each window. Position your model similar to the original. This is before you go into animation mode. Postion the model then build your bones. You will need atleast one bone for the weapon and any addition ones for ammo and other parts of the gun.
The trick is...you have to use the grid to help you get your gun in position. I found using the original model was the surest way to get the new one close. MM3d will interpolate most of the frames for you. You just have to go through the original model and find the frames in which motion changes direction and/or speed. These are the frames you want to edit in your new model. And set rotaional keyframe for each of these spots. Once you get the model in and match all the frames to the old one...then i would say it's easier to improvise from there.

I am sorry if that is not much help....my brain works a bit diferently than most...much of my knowledge and skills are self-taught.....so it's hard for me to turn around and present it to someone that needs teaching. lol.
Instruction is best given linearly...but i just can't.
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

I'll give it a whirl in a minute although I have to say my MM3D doesn't look the same.
You get this animation 'helper' at the bottom, while I get a huge popup, mostly blocking my view.
I had to hook the laptop onto the TV to move that box to a side...

Your "3D view" is called "Perspective"...
What version are you using?
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

i have 1.3.7 it's the developmental version. But, very stable and has more features, etc. So it's really there newest unlike how the webpage sets you up to download an older version as their newest. ;/