Multi-game engine FTEQW 1.0

Moderator: Rab,d

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Multi-game engine FTEQW 1.0

Post by Rab,d » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:28 am

Hey guys/gals...
I have been searching for a game engine that I could use for this project rather than egl...or maybe find someone modding egl or something. Well, this morning I ran across this and fooled around with it a bit...it runs our dday maps aswell as our new q3 .bsp maps. It's default settings are not optimal to our game and it's clunky to navigate menu at first, fov is way off by default. But, I think with some customization of it's config files will make this a good candidate for this project and perhaps as a general client for all ddayers. :)
Check it out,
http://www.fteqw.com/

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Re: Multi-game engine FTEQW 1.0

Post by InFerNo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Direct3D rendering leaves out Linux users (myself, Dirk, ..)

Six-Shoota

Post by Six-Shoota » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:15 am

But the game logic have to be rewritten in qc. which is a huge pain in the ass.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:53 am

InFerNo wrote:Direct3D rendering leaves out Linux users (myself, Dirk, ..)
It has references to and command line parameters I would assume you can build it. In the video settings you can choose openGL or Direct3D. Look into it. :)
I have been fooling around with it. I works nice on quake 2/dday maps. Looks really nice. Auto bump mapping on all the old dday textures. :) realtime shadows is kewl...like the fan in dday1. ;) But, I can't get it to "always run" and there's a crosshair..and no weapon sounds...everything else seams to work for q2 dday maps. My dday Normandy 2 q3 .bsp maps look horrible on it. Might be settings. Needs more experimenting.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:38 pm

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:14 pm

That looks fantastic. The in game editor seems very interesting as well!

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:46 pm

It certainly does not like q3bsp for some reason though! makes all the textures funky.

Night Rider

Post by Night Rider » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:09 pm

More info here http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/q ... ngine.html in this forum about FTE also there currently working with it also. Also more files here http://triptohell.info/moodles/
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid"
John Wayne

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:31 am

Been communicating with the author and others that use this engine over at http://www.quakeone.com :) Making some great headway on setting up to use this engine. It's abilities and continued development makes it choice for us. WebGL android port, avi recording, plugins.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:21 pm

It does look really nice. Is that q3bsp?

Six-Shoota

Post by Six-Shoota » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Are these pictures from FTEQW gameplay? Does FTEQW support Q2 DLLs?

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Six-Shoota wrote:Are these pictures from FTEQW gameplay? Does FTEQW support Q2 DLLs?
Yes this is FTE. Just a couple problems..but yes can run current dday dll with bots also. The couple problems are big. :)
Can't get It it to "always run" cl_run 1 That kinda kills it. And issues with movement in crouch and prone positions. Gun firing sounds seem to be missing. This may be in the settings or maybe some easy fix I think in the code. This engine is definitely looking to be the one for our project. Just added a lot more work, though..lol.

Six-Shoota

Post by Six-Shoota » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Rab,d wrote:
Six-Shoota wrote:Are these pictures from FTEQW gameplay? Does FTEQW support Q2 DLLs?
Yes this is FTE. Just a couple problems..but yes can run current dday dll with bots also. The couple problems are big. :)
Can't get It it to "always run" cl_run 1 That kinda kills it. And issues with movement in crouch and prone positions. Gun firing sounds seem to be missing. This may be in the settings or maybe some easy fix I think in the code. This engine is definitely looking to be the one for our project. Just added a lot more work, though..lol.
Well, it's different engine, so the console commands are different too. That's why "cl_run1" is not working. Also player models in md3 format would be better I think.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:01 pm

If that is q3bsp how did you change the settings? all my maps show up like a disco party.. Maybe its the shaders that are doing that?

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Boons wrote:If that is q3bsp how did you change the settings? all my maps show up like a disco party.. Maybe its the shaders that are doing that?
It's Q3 .bsp. I have been doing so many "trial and error"'s I can't really tell you how I got it working without that rainbow effect I know you're talking about. lol.
I had their realtime light editor working..and now that won't work again. There's not a lot of detailed info on all the parameters of this engine. And I lack the schooling to pick up on things quickly. But, i'll figure it all out soon enough. That's how I am. ;)

We are getting a lot of snow today here Charlotte, NC USA :) No out of house work for me tomorrow in this ill-prepared State. :) I'll get you more info on how to set it.

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Can the SHAEF models be exported to MD3 still? They look warpy because it's MD2, but it the original model development files are still to be foun somewhere (Parts?) then they could be exported to MD3, no? I think the result will look better than MD2 anyway.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:00 am

InFerNo wrote:Can the SHAEF models be exported to MD3 still? They look warpy because it's MD2, but it the original model development files are still to be foun somewhere (Parts?) then they could be exported to MD3, no? I think the result will look better than MD2 anyway.
Not sure. It would be kewl to recompile them. I think out of all the original dday content...the sheaf player model is what doesn't really need replacement. The skins can be tweaked to make a diference.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Boons wrote:If that is q3bsp how did you change the settings? all my maps show up like a disco party.. Maybe its the shaders that are doing that?
You have to use the newest nightly builds. Use -basedir . +gamedir dday2 in command line.

Mirrors work, btw

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:48 pm

my rbd_fx shader and fire sprite replacement along with FTEQW's awesome dynamic lighting. :) I will be customizing the particle system soon, also.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =3&theater

Six-Shoota

Post by Six-Shoota » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:29 am

Rab,d, have you tested all the functionality typical for dday. I mean the iron sights, scope views etc.? Does all the bindings and settings form .cfg are working?

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:11 pm

I already gave the milkshape models to somebody and they can easily be exported to md3.
I posted a rigged 3dmax model too somewhere that just needs animating. This has welded and weighted verts as well, so is a lot tidier than the seperate limbs of the original.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:53 pm

Where can I find the newest nightly builds? Having trouble with that...

My maps seem to crash the engine on loading :/

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:27 pm

I went and found that program that converts bsp files back to map form. As I said before the copyirght thing is there but I am open to me or others redoing mine some, retexture them with the new stuff, bezier terrain, etc if that would at least get things going to have some maps.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:17 am

Any more news with this engine good sir?

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Boons I converted a bunch of bsp to map format and zipped them and emailed them to you.