Interest in retexture of maps high rez?

Topics related to map making for D-Day.
Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Interest in retexture of maps high rez?

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:20 pm

I have come up with 20-30 bot supported maps that I think I can add in high rez textures that would show in riq2 but not erase the standard wal files. But before I make the long effort would there be interest in this? This would add to the 32 I made a year ago, giving around 60 maps to play.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Re: Interest in retexture of maps high rez?

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:49 am

And does anyone know why a map like crossing2 has bots on the server but I can't get them to work on my computer?

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 am

Ok 25 views and no response, I guess not.

PowaBanga

Post by PowaBanga » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:10 am

Me I am intersted by this ! You can send it to me, on facebook, french site, or on my github ! You can same create a torrent to send it to me if you want :)
You can join me on IRC : in irc.quakenet.org chan : #ddayhome or on Freenode, chan #ddaynormandy .
Do not hesitate to type my pseudo to highlight me.
Or open an issue on github to highligh me by mail.
RSS

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 am

I would need to create it but a lot of work. That is why I am asking if there is interest before I invest a few hundred hours into it.

Could you place the set of hirez maps I have on the forum on gibhub for me?

PowaBanga

Post by PowaBanga » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:38 am

I am not sure that i understood your question, so, this is all that i have, is on my github :

My full source game, with default data

All data that I have for th moment

And for moment, I look for the full high res who was done by rabd, he worked very much on it i think, and I try to find it for that all his work do not will lost.
Last edited by PowaBanga on Mon May 08, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can join me on IRC : in irc.quakenet.org chan : #ddayhome or on Freenode, chan #ddaynormandy .
RSS

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:31 pm

This is the link to the 30 hi rez maps I made. I am asking you to place the zip at this address on github.

http://ddaydev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8545

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Mon May 08, 2017 12:37 pm

I have tried this. I can rename a high res texture so it matches the associated .wal and replace it in the engines that can see jpgs and png. However I can not control the scaling and thus the look of the replacement texture. I can redo some of the standards with the hi rez textures but that would mean a new set of maps and textures, but they do look better while having the same game play.

PowaBanga

Post by PowaBanga » Mon May 08, 2017 4:46 pm

hmm... I think that i will create a new project for high resolusion game, with all high res pak, and when it will became best or good, we will add it in the main map pack. Because I found very much file, and sometime, there is really some texture who are realy not at the same color that the original, and it is a problem, or sometime, the texture color is realy flash, we can't add some textures like that in the project.
RSS

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Mon May 08, 2017 10:00 pm

I have started decompling some of the most popular maps and redoing the textures, Eventually have 50-60 maps of hi rex textures available and hopefully a server for them. Would be separate from the standard download.

Shrewd

Post by Shrewd » Tue May 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Sounds great Mr Your No Fun, you should share map sources too :P back in the day I found really hard to learn and to find proper decompilers.

PowaBanga

Post by PowaBanga » Wed May 10, 2017 6:01 am

yeah, +1 for Shrewd !
RSS

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Thu May 11, 2017 12:50 am

I use the old winbspc 1.4. It is only successful half the time, and often turns textures upside down so a lot of work. But it is interesting to see how maps were made.

That is how I got my first 32 maps, though most of those were ones I made. I am attempting to not decompile but to place TGA hi rez textures with the same names as the .wal texture standard for q2 games, but r1q2 replaces the wal with the TGA and you see hi rez textures. The problem is I can't force the TGA to scale with the wal file, so they look too stretched out. So Thought I would decompile standard maps and retexture with the hi rex I have, and rename the file to show the are different from the originals. Unfortunately this will be done without the agreement of the original map makers, but hopefully it make the game more popular with the better textures.

Shrewd

Post by Shrewd » Thu May 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Yup I know winbspc don't know the version, but as you say it was not 100% accurate so I could not trust it.

If you ever do that, as for every game GPL and that stuff we should ask for permission to the map maker.
The very least is putting their name in the loading screen... designed by... or first map by.... the remade by me.

Just crazy ideas...

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Sat May 13, 2017 3:25 am

Thank you, and I would. Thing is the textures eat up a lot more resources so what compiles with 8 bit wals doesn't always with tga. NOt sure why but it happens.

PowaBanga

Post by PowaBanga » Sat May 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Ok it's good all of that.

Mr. Your no fun, did you try to use q2pro ? do you have the same problem with it for the texture ? and with EGL ?
RSS

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Tue May 16, 2017 2:36 am

It isn't the engine that drive the game, but the map maker which its MAX LIGHTING which means all the light sources in the textures are used up. Trying to work around it without loosing the feel of the map.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Thu May 18, 2017 6:54 pm

OK, I had to do some simplifying of polys to reduce the lighting calls, got the ramps of the landing craft to drop, and now working on the lighting for dday1. Same basic map, just textures hi rez and less polys, and you can get up on the hill tops now. Very happy, hope Castrator doesn't mind.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Tue May 30, 2017 4:47 am

Just got dday 1-3 done, and others. Some changes with different textures and max lighting issues. Really interesting to see how Castrator crated the maps, some surprises.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:19 am

ok dday 4 is done, anyone interested in seeing them?

PowaBanga

Post by PowaBanga » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:19 pm

You have to convert your textures in low res to .wal, I do not now if you do that, it can be done easilly finaly.

Can you share screenshot or your work ?
RSS

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:55 pm

That isn't the idea. There are wals for low rez with matching hi rez for egl and r1q2

PowaBanga

Post by PowaBanga » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:52 pm

i do not understand, if you modify the map for adjust your highres textures, your .wal low texture will be bad adjusted no ?
RSS

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:38 pm

No. When you view the maps in standard the wal is used. I think the confusion is my comment earlier about referencing a high rez texture with the wal will it still present itself well. The answer is no they will look bad. What I am doing is decompiling the maps and retexturing them with matching wal and tga images so they look good either way.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:51 am

I have finished dday1-4. Simserhoff bunker is a lot harder because it is so big and I am max lighting out, which means I need to stretch all unseen sides to 512x512 and then start removing polys until it compiles. Net result map is going to be different.

But this is true also of the other 4. I strove to stay true to the original feel but the hi rez textures put more demands on the game engine so I am having to simplify them. Also removing all the swinging doors. Bots love to get stuck on them and run forever. Still they fun to play, and more action.