Mapping Tips

Topics related to map making for D-Day.
Fafner
Developer
Developer

Mapping Tips

Post by Fafner » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 pm

This is for mappers to post mapping tips to help other mappers.

Gameplay suggestions:
-Try to put good camp spots for the opposite team near each team's spawn, that way you have an objective for them to get to. A map that doesn't do this is inland2, the axis doesn't have a good spot to camp at near the allies spawn and it hurts the gameplay. Also have good camp spots in other hard to get to areas so the teams have a lot of choices and different things to do.

-Don't make it a long walk out of the spawn area, just spawn the player right at the exit. Players don't like walking distances for no reason (or any reason usually). The most popular maps are the ones where people spawn right at the main area.

-Try to put a few exits out of the spawn area, but don't make it too easy to get out of.

-Don't put a good camp spot for a team right near their spawn point. Then they have no incentive for leaving the spawn. I messed this up on Caen because the axis always camp on top of that stupid building.

-Try to make it so the players don't have to rely on rules for the gameplay to work right. If there's an area you don't want them in either block it off or put in spawn_protect entities.

-Try to make your map "lame proof". Make sure there's no chokepoints near the spawn where people can fire rockets at for easy kills (dday2 stairs/doomtown rus spawn)

-Try to do something creative & original if you make a map. Don't just make "ddaybeachmap#30.bsp". Maybe come up with some new kind of objective or gameplay style that hasn't been done before.

-Try not to have the map all at one elevation. Players should be able to go up and down and not just move in 2 dimensions.

Non gameplay suggestions:
-Try to get the basic outline of the map done first then fill in the details later. That way if you get tired of working on it you can release a sparsely detailed map instead of having a half finished map that you can't do anything with.

-When you're working on lighting, take a small chunk of your map and just light that, so it compiles fast and you can do it over and over. Then copy the settings to the full map.

-Always save sequentially in case you mess anything up so you can go back to early versions like map01.qkm map02.qkm etc.

-Try not to end the map at the sky. Try to put up a fence or some hedges.

-Try to not make the map too rectangular.
1RB: http://www.1rb.mav.net
Speedway: http://www.ddaydev.com/speedway
If you need help, start a thread. That way other people can learn from the information given. DON'T PM ME unless it's necessary.

Dirk
Developer
Developer

Re: Mapping Tips

Post by Dirk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:42 pm

I was hoping someone would make a Germans invade England map.

These are great tips and suggestions.

Roman

Post by Roman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:07 pm

post more :o

-+LeeHarvey+-

Post by -+LeeHarvey+- » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:42 am

Don't put too many rooms in a map; it gets confusing, especially when you're looking for objectives.

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:13 am

Light your map creatively. Create lots of contrast if you're not sure, it's much better than bland or no lighting! Oh, and try not to use too much pure white light, try to add some variance to it.

I once mapped (well, crudely) for Duke Nukem 3D, I really wanted colored lighting back then.