idea

Topics related to map making for D-Day.
dgansen

idea

Post by dgansen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:15 am

ok, so I was cruising the forums, and in the off topic section I saw a thread about the holocaust. I left a post, at some point mentioning the book "night," and that made me think- wouldn't it be cool for someone to do a map modeled after a concentration camp that the allies have to "liberate?" At first I was thinking maybe to do a mock-up of an actual camp, something like Auschwitz or Buchenwald, but I don't know jack about mapping, and I don't know if something like that is even feasible. Anyway, since I have no experience mapping, I figured I'd leave this open for people who have experience and would have a shot at getting it released. So yeah, anyone think they might be up to it?

Lewin

Re: idea

Post by Lewin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:29 am

no

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:17 am

lol maybe with a little gas chamber with lmg spawn in there ;] But seriously im not sure concentration camp is a good idea for map...

mofo

Post by mofo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:29 am

cant be worse than the 9/11 map. though an objectives based prison camp could be cool.
"Babies are little maracas sent from above."

dgansen

Post by dgansen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:11 pm

see, when axis knew that a camp was about to be liberated, they tried to destroy all proof that the camp was used for exterminating jews. We could have axis start inside the camp, and they have to destroy certain objectives inside, and the allies would have to "liberate" the camp (by getting x number of kills), while the axis has to destroy proof by getting x number of points (obviously the objectives would have to have a lot of health, so that it wouldn't be too easy for the axis.) Also, it shouldn't be too hard for the allies to get in, since security was mainly focused on not letting anybody out. It works in my head, but again I don't know if it's worth pursuing.

Grimmey

Post by Grimmey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm

I do not think anyone would have time or the patience to make something like this, or it depends on how detailed you want it? I would consider thinking about it (if i was any good), but so far my skills in map making have gone from making making a poly to decorating it :? not good enough im afraid. Maybe some of the gurus around here will shine some wisdom on this idea who knows..... good night

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Shrewd

Post by Shrewd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Well that can't be so hard, depends of the idea you have and what you want in the map :P

We can save some civilians, but they're not very smart following you. It can be hard.

Just an scape map, in with allies try to scape. (Hardest to think about, and maybe bored to axis, rules of only killing those who get away will be shit with noobs)

Maybe a map in a map, with some civilian models (just walking or moving) and a normal killing map will be nice.

Also counting kills backwards for axis, as reinforcements left would be great ^^

dgansen

Post by dgansen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:38 pm

see, something like the map fafner posted, only a little less... corny. It's a great map and all, but there's no smoke stacks, no barracks, gas chambers, the map is really short and wide, plus the allies would not want to destroy the crematorium, the axis would, at least that's how it happened in real life. I think that map has a good start, but could use some major modifications. For one thing, maybe some boxcars used to haul prisoners, sitting on the tracks? make the map longer, but bunks in the barns, make a designated building for the crematorium, with a refrigeration room between it and the gas chamber, and the gas chamber should have a level above it with a trap door where axis poured the gas in (in some cases it came right out of shower heads, but in some they dropped pellets that reacted with the air and let off the gases). Also, two buildings, one that was used to conduct medical experiments, and one used as a hospital, with a wall for a firing squad in between, wouldn't be a bad touch. Maybe a mess hall, with a kitchen? plus more guard towers, and the stairs would have to be included... the ones Jews were forced to carry rocks up and then jump off a cliff at the top. I think there should also be a building where from room to room there are the stations where jews had their heads shaved, were tattooed with their numbers, and were given their "uniforms." This is a lot, and I understand that, and I'm probably just dreaming right now, but I think it could turn out really cool if someone spent the time. What do you guys think?

(and try out the map, because it's really not that bad, although I think it could be better)