Code Progress

Discussion about the game D-Day: Normandy.
Fafner
Developer
Developer

Code Progress

Post by Fafner »

I added a new observer mode for bird's eye view. :lol: It's kinda pointless but fun to try out. It works better on some maps than others. If you don't know, you can cycle through observer modes by following someone in observer mode then clicking the scope/aim/truesight key:

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Re: Code Progress

Post by Fafner »

Made a display screen for medics that lists which teammates are wounded.

It also works as a radar of sorts. When you face in the direction of the teammate, the name is white, otherwise it's green.

The asterisk next to the name means that person is bleeding.

It's running on Dirk's now.
Attachments
medic.jpg
medic.jpg (117.71 KiB) Viewed 22270 times

Dirk
Developer
Developer

Post by Dirk »

That's awesome!

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

I think when you're medic, everyone in need of healing should have a large red cross on a white square on their heads
[+]
Well, you get the idea. This will motivate them more...

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

Faf, do players still blink red when injured? I hadn't noticed that lately.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

Yes. I also changed it a little so instead of the green/white text, a little icon appears on the screen in the direction of where the injured person is. It's set up to work with 1024 wide resolution so it won't work as well in other resolutions but it should be good still.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

I think if the points and kills values were colored the same way as you have other things...it would be easier to discern what text color your team is.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

I think the green text looks ugly except when it's used to highlight things so I don't want to do that.

I'm working on the mg42 code. I made it fire twice as many bullets and gave it 250 rounds instead of 100 (and less belts to start with). But I'm also making it so it overheats if you fire it too fast so you have to fire it in bursts. When it starts getting too hot I'm going to make the screen go red. It should make it be used more realistically.

Anyone have a good MG42 sound? I want one to reflect the faster firing rate. I have a pretty good one, but maybe could use a better one.

the violator
Developer
Developer

Post by the violator »

Fafner wrote:Anyone have a good MG42 sound? I want one to reflect the faster firing rate. I have a pretty good one, but maybe could use a better one.
Here's my favorite MG42 sound which I currently use:

http://sites.google.com/site/thetest919 ... 2/fire.wav

I forget where I got it.. maybe it's from DoD:S?
Join the D-Day Discord!:
https://discord.gg/UVcQ9F

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

Pretty good. I'll use that if no one has a better one.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

The mg42 code's on the server now. I made it so it smokes when it gets close to overheating. I forgot to change the sound, I'll probably do that in the next update.

Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Very impressive Mr Fafner,will it still be the same view as a medic that kinda periscope view?,almost looks like night vision.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

That's something with EGL. I used code that's based on the quake 2 infrared code that's from one of the mission packs I guess where if you have IR goggles it makes the players light up red so you can see them. Well EGL turned it into a full thing with the green goggles and crap for gloom. I'll try to take that out to go with my "wake fix" version of EGL sometime soon.

Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Fafner wrote:That's something with EGL. I used code that's based on the quake 2 infrared code that's from one of the mission packs I guess where if you have IR goggles it makes the players light up red so you can see them. Well EGL turned it into a full thing with the green goggles and crap for gloom. I'll try to take that out to go with my "wake fix" version of EGL sometime soon.
Ya ok kool,the goggles view is horrible.

the violator
Developer
Developer

Post by the violator »

Fafner, as the code is right now, when you overheat the MG42 it deletes all of your ammo :lol:
Join the D-Day Discord!:

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

That's the way it's supposed to be, you melted the barrel and can't use it anymore. Maybe some time I'll make it so it doesn't shoot and you still have your ammo but this was a lot easier. That's only when you ignore the smoke and keep shooting though. If you stop when it starts smoking you can let it cool down and keep firing.

the violator
Developer
Developer

Post by the violator »

Is there a way to make it so you just have to wait and it'll cool off and then you can fire again, like in DoD? I think making the barrel melt will just piss people off lol

edit: oops, didn't read your whole post. Yeah I guess the smoke makes it ok.. though will software mode users see it?
Join the D-Day Discord!:

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

Yes. It might be harder actually for EGL since the smokes a bit thicker in that, but it should look better at least.

the violator
Developer
Developer

Post by the violator »

Faf what do you think about adding code that gives the Officer class a bigger leadership role? To promote tactics, the Officer could have the ability to place waypoints telling the team where to focus their attack. This waypoint could show up on the screens of each team member. It could work like the airstrike where you have to zoom in with the binoculars, but then hit a different key to mark the attack point instead of calling an airstrike. He could also have the ability to set other markers, like Defend, Destroy, Fallback to, etc.

Ofcourse, you could get a lousy player as Officer.. then the ability to vote them off of the position would be nice..

Maybe useless, but I always thought it would be kinda neat :)
Join the D-Day Discord!:

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

No one would ever follow his instructions :lol:

I've thought about adding team captains before where the person who's been on the server on that team the longest is the captain and they have certain privileges, but I don't think it would add all that much to the game for the work it would take to add.

MetalGod

Post by MetalGod »

No one would ever follow his instructions

I play officer more than any other class. I can't even get people to listen when I tell them to fall back because I'm calling an air-strike, much less when I tell a someone where a sniper is, etc.
You're perfect. Yes, it's true. But without me, you're only you!

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

The biggest mistake players make is by dying and not letting the strongest player finish the game alone.

Grinder

Post by Grinder »

1). This needs too be taken care of,is this talking while fucking dead!...i kill guys and i can't count high enuff the number of times i've watched them type out where i am or give a warning as they lay dead on the map,dead men don't talk.

2) TnT,could you make it so you can pick the other teams tnt pack up.If you can pick the opposing teams grenades up and somehow catch them all the time,why not pick up tnt.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

I might do the chat thing. Maybe I'll make it so it saves your chat until your respawn count runs out then it prints it.

Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Fafner wrote:I might do the chat thing. Maybe I'll make it so it saves your chat until your respawn count runs out then it prints it.
That would be kool.